few years after settling in St. Marys, a deeply religious man named
Decker fell from a tree in his orchard and injured his back. He vowed
to build and maintain a chapel if the injury healed, and in the course
of a year or two he had recuperated enough to fulfill his promise.
The Little Chapel was built in about 1856, shortly before Decker's son Michael was ordained as a priest.
Chapel has been called the smallest church in the United States and Its
visitors' book includes names from throughout the country and the
In 1998 the chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
23rd, 2016 saw the completion of $80,000 of repair and restoration work
to the 12'x18' Chapel, marked with a rededication ceremony.
Chapel, located along Rt 255 in St. Marys, is once again open to
visitors from Dawn til Dusk everyday. The Chapel is also available for
weddings or other ceremonies.